Thursday, June 7

A Possy of Newsreaders

Mahendra was in top form last night. But RK told you all about that.


Tonight I sat down in front of the telly a little earlier than usual, De Waal Drive effectively being blocked by a load of fish dumped by a truck not allowing anyone to go anywhere. I spotted some other newsreaders. It was an interesting experience filled with feelings of consternation, amusement, disbelief, admiration and a host of other conflicting emotions. Unfortunately I did not get their names but I thought that I should share with you anyway. See for yourself.


MAHUNGU, SABC 2, presented me with a large gentleman in a jacket with a very small collar, very small on such a large man, and such an array of diagonal and pin stripes my head is still spinning. Unfortunately his hands were hidden by the enormous banner at the bottom of the television so I could not see his cuffs. His counterpart, however, did not need a banner.











IINDABA, SABC 1, was read by a man who is not well represented in this photograph because his tie and jersey were not white, as it appears, but pink! It was a bright pink. I squirmed in my seat. The stripes on the shirt collar were white. I was not sure what to make of that. His cuffs were hidden so far away I had to wonder if the shirt even had sleeves.



Tsepiso (at 7) looked positively radiant from the neck up. Unfortunately she was wearing a bunch of hideous blue/aquamarine/turquoise balls around her neck. I think it was supposed to be a necklace. Someone should relieve Auckland Park of their costume jewellery selection.



And then, at 8.30pm and to my delight I heard Mahendra's voice from the void giving us the news in 60 seconds. He said good bye with such charm and such a radiant smile that it made Cape Town feel a little warmer and I completely forgot about the fish.

No comments: