Tuesday, July 3

Miranda's adjectives

Tonight Ms Makwetla was wearing a light gold shirt that was way too shiny. Over it she wore a jacket of a plummy brown tone.

Overall, the effect was dull and uninspired, despite the glitz factor she attempted to introduce with the shirt.

It was left to Miranda Strydom, reporting on the AU summit, to provide me with a laugh, which she did when she mentioned a certain 'gradualistic approach'. Correcting people's grammar is one of my faults (and I do try so hard not to, except in my job, which requires me to do so) but I couldn't help it when a suppressed smile gradualistically rose to my lips.

[Note: People, sartorial vicissitudes seem to be reaching unimaginable proportions on SABC. Did anyone watch Talk with Noeleen? Whassup with Noeleen Maholwana-Sangqu's sense of dress? A black dress with oodles of white o's in various sizes? I think someone should start a subsidiary blog called Oodles of O's with Noeleen. That'll learn them... There's also the issue of her hair. - Ed.]

2 comments:

TM said...

Apologies to Miranda: I stand corrected by the Collins English Dictionary.

gradualism (n) the policy of seeking to change sommething or achieve a goal gradually rather than quickly or violently, esp in politics
> gradulist, adv > gradualistic adj

I still think it's jargon though, and not a very pretty word

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that it was refreshing that some piece of oversized crystal(s) was not forcefully inserted in the small triangle left bare by the shirt under her chin. Hence I was rather pleased by her appearance.